Dr. Nasiru Ladan Mohammed Argungu, Director – General of National Directorate of Employment (NDE). The Director – General is a cardiologist by training, an astute politician, an expert in youth development and an unassuming administrator with varied experience. Perhaps, these explain some of the reasons for his clinical approach to tackling unemployment in Nigeria. Dr. Ladan Mohammed was born on 10th October, 1968 in the famous tourist city, Argungu, Kebbi State, North-West Nigeria.
He started his formal education career at Sarki Sani Primary School, Argungu from 1973 – 1979. Then moved on for his secondary education to Government College Sokoto between 1979 and 1983 where he obtained the West African School Certificate with superlative grade. This earned him admission into the Usmanu Dan Fodio University, Sokoto in 1984 wherefrom he graduated in 1991 with MBBS Degree, specializing in Cardiology. The desire to serve humanity in a broader medical practice motivated Dr. Ladan Mohammed to undertake a certificate course in Tuberculosis & Leprosy Control.
The Director – General possesses extensive work experience. During the mandatory National Youth Service to Nigeria, he served at Abak-Itoi General Hospital Akwa Ibom State from 1993 to 1994. After a successful completion of the one year mandatory NYSC scheme, he got employed at the Usmanu Dan Fodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, as Registrar and gradually rose to the position of a Senior Registrar in the same teaching hospital.
At the Usmanu Dan Fodio University Teaching Hospital, young and energetic Dr. Ladan Mohammed combined administrative and clinical duties. He distinguished himself as a medical doctor who served with complete dedication, courage and passion for humanity. This earned him a higher responsibility, through the appointment as Principal Medical Officer, in-charge of Argungu General Hospital, Kebbi State.
From 2006 to 2010 he was Head of Department (HOD), Department of Medicine, Sani Yahaya Specialist Hospital, Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State.
Through sheer hard-work, valour and commitment, Dr. Ladan Mohammed became a specialist in the medical field and rendered his services also to both indigenous and multi-national construction companies. Some of the companies where he served as a Consultant Physician include: – Gilmor Engineering Nigeria Limited; RCC Construction Company; Mother Cat Construction Nigeria Limited; Sterling Geo Nigeria Limited; Hadad Nigeria Limited; Karam Nigeria Limited; and AK Construction Limited.
The quest for greater service to our dear Country, within the ambit of democracy and good governance drove the Dr. Ladan Mohammed in to active partisan politics in the year 2011. Within the shortest time in the political landscape, he became what is seen as a tenacious bulldozer when it comes to political/youths mobilization. He was among the vibrant trio that mobilized youth support that ensured President Buhari’s resounding success at the 2015 Presidential Elections.
Having distinguished himself as an amiable and dynamic leader/ administrator with the sterling qualities of integrity, honesty, resourcefulness, hard work and patriotism, His Excellency, President Muhammad Buhari, President and Commander in Chief of Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, appointed him the Director General of the National Directorate of Employment on 18th April, 2017.
These dynamic leadership traits are being brought to bear on the operations and management of the affairs of the National Directorate of Employment (NDE). He is an amiable leader who believes in right attitude to public funds and accountability and quality service delivery to Nigeria. This is exemplified in the official request sent to all the State Governors, Principal officers of both National and State Assemblies, the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related Crimes Commission (ICPC), the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Nigeria Police, the Directorate of State Security Service (DSS), Religious/Traditional Rulers and other relevant stakeholders to independently monitor all NDE empowerment programmes/schemes.
Within one year of providing purposeful leadership to the NDE, he achieved the following:
- Created job opportunities for 309,488 youths and women through skills acquisition training/empowerment in various vocations/businesses (including 13,000 women resettled with business start-up in cosmetology).
- 292 Staff of the Directorate were promoted during 2017 promotion examination.
- Procured 4 staff buses (Three coaster buses and a 46 seater bus for the purpose of conveying staff to work and back home as well as a pay loader for general services)
- Procured 2 project cars.
- Refurbished and upgraded 5 abandoned staff buses and 8 other programme/ operational vehicles at the Headquarters.
- Upgraded vehicles in all the States and FCT Office for accelerated programme implementation, monitoring and loan recovery activities.
- Improved working condition of staff in their offices by providing new furniture and equipment.
- Relocated 3 zonal offices of South-South, North-Central and North-West as well as 3 state offices in Ebonyi, FCT and Headquarters annex from rented buildings to government facilities thereby saving the Directorate from paying rent.
- Construction of a block of 3 offices with 2 toilets, generator and gate houses as well as fencing in Kano state office of the directorate through direct labour by NDE trainees mostly using Hydra Blocks at a very reasonable cost.
- Construction of 2 skills acquisition centres were initiated in 2017/2018 and commenced in Dutse Jigawa State and Ile-Ife in Osun State respectively. The land in Ife-Ife was donated by the Ooni of Ife, His Imperial Majesty Oba Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II. The 2 projects are being handled through direct labour by NDE trainees using Hydra Form Blocks.
- Total renovation, retooling and upgrading of 18 skills acquisition centres.
- 18 School-On-Wheels Prime Movers and Caravans were fully refurbished and ready to commence training in the rural areas as soon as funds received from Government. Efforts to refurbished the other ones are ongoing.
- Completion, furnishing and tooling of a skills centre as well as provision of a school bus in Ganga, Daura, Katsina State donated by Late Senator (Engr.) Mustapha Bukar.
- The Management working visit to Algerian Embassy in Abuja resulted in getting approval from the Government of Algeria of 1,000,000 seedlings of improve Date Palms for promotion of Green Cash Economy.
- Borehole sinking and office upgrade of the Edo State Office
In the course of his public service duties, the Director-General is widely travelled internationally. Some of the countries travelled to include; Geneva, Switzerland, Canada, France, USA, Zambia, Niger, Algeria, among others.
A man who loves close ties with his family, friends and associates, as well as subordinate staff, Dr. Nasiru Ladan Mohammed Argungu is an achiever. He is married with two (2) wives and has five children.